After downloading the first DLC for Skyrim, you’re now ready to embark on another journey where you have to choose whether you want to join the Dawnguard, which is their mission to vanquish all Vampires in Skyrim or be one of the enemies and do whatever is necessary to preserve the Vampire lineage.
As with all other quests, in order to start the questline for Dawnguard, you must trigger it first. Here is a list of steps that you must do in order to initiate the DLC:
2. When you talk to any of the the guards in town, they’ll mention to you about the rumor of the Vampires coming back. Luckily, there’s an elite group that hunts for Vampires and they’re looking for new recruits.
3. As soon as you hear about the Vampires, the quest to find the Fort Dawnguard will appear.
Note: Since every time you start a new quest, you’ll see a marker that points to your next destination. Unfortunately in this DLC, the marker will point you in the wrong place. To find it, simply follow the compass on top.
4. Look on the world map above. Do you see the marker where it leads you to the person you’re supposed to talk to? Slightly head northeast from that. You’ll have to go through the mountains to get to it. (Don’t follow the marker on the map!)
5. When you find the area, you’ll enter the cave that will lead you to Fort Dawnguard, which is located past the invisible wall that separates Skyrim and Morrowind. Unfortunately, the area is linear.
6. Get inside the Fort Dawnguard and begin your quest!
NOTE: If you can’t initiate the quest from the guard, find it via the map above and look for a cave. Also, another way to initiate the quest is from the courier.